Destinations Bays Market District
To rejuvenate the Sydney Fish Market (wholesale and retail), and expand the fresh food offering, creating a world-class Bays Market District connected to the water.
- Create a new world-class market food offering and dining attraction
- Reimagine the Sydney Fish Market, including wholesale and retail functions
- Allow the Bays Waterfront Promenade to seamlessly connect with a bustling and thriving place that brings residents and visitors back to the water
- Provide compatible housing suitable to living on the edge of the CBD
- Improve access and public transport
Sitting at Blackwattle Bay, where the working city meets the living city on the western edge of inner city Pyrmont and the northern edge of suburban Glebe, the Bays Market District will be a busy hub for residents, workers and visitors who shop and dine.
The Bays Market District will widen Sydney’s food and dining offering, creating a new world-class food and dining attraction for Sydney – in the way that Borough Markets in London and La Boqueria in Barcelona attract day-to-day shoppers as well as tourists. It will draw on the activity and spirit of both the wholesale and retail operations at Sydney Fish Market.
The Bays Market District will generate significant improvements to access and public transport as well as environmental activity and better connections with Blackwattle Bay and Wentworth Park.
- Work closely with Sydney Fish Market in line with a Memorandum of Understanding. Read the media release.
- Design the new fish market at the head of Blackwattle Bay. Read the media release.
- Prepare a masterplan to guide the transformation of the Bays Market District, and consult with stakeholders throughout the masterplanning process. Read the Brochure - Masterplanning the Bays Market District.
- Planning work underway considering transport and accessibility, open space and the connection to Wentworth Park, and other physical constraints.
- Consider precinct wide technical studies including housing diversity, sustainability, transport, social infrastructure and governance. Brochure - Masterplanning Bays Market District.